Everybody is worker here, right. Some of us do job in some company while some have their own business. Some of us sell in streets while some may be housewife so work at home. Some of us are very effective dealing with the daily challenges. They do all of their tasks very well. While some keep working hard but could not get the output as they desired.
Everyone wants to be more effective:
Everyone wants to be more effective in his/her life. I will share some of the tips from my daily life as well as some tips learned from my friends. It does not matter where you work and what kind of work you do. These tips not only work for professionals but for everyone. Everyone in this universe deals with people around them every day whether he is at home or in office or in spaceship. You always have some tasks to do every day and you all want to manage them well.
How to make these tips work for you?
Do not go by terms mentioned here. When I will mention boss, assume anyone to whom you report. It may be your manager, project leader or family head. When I will say colleagues, assume anyone you work with. It may be your team member in office or family members in home. When I say task it may be your project or cooking food for family.
“You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action.”Tony Robbins
It is the action time now.
Here are 7 Tips to be more effective at work
- Make a To Do List:It is a multitasking era. Everyone is doing more than one task every day. Do you work on multiple tasks daily? Do you keep track of them? If not, the chances are you miss one or more tasks sometimes? And when you realize that, it may be too late to cover-up that thing or you have to compromise with other task. Do not just rely on your memory. Make a list of all the tasks that need to do every day and call it “To Do List”.It is the technology time. We use social networking to get in touch with everyone. We use online sites for shopping. Many popular sites exist for tracking your tasks as well. Try using “Evernote” if you are connected to Internet every day. “Any.do” is one of the best applications if you own android/smart phone.
It is alright if you are not in the touch with these technologies. A paper and a pen will even work better than these.
- Prioritize your work:After making your “To Do List”, assign priorities to them. List tasks by calculating their importance and urgency. It will help you to focus on the right thing first. You can schedule some break between the tasks as well, so that you can recharge yourself with some coffee/music.
“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Plan half hour to evaluate how things went at the end of the day. We always think about doing these little things but most of the times never do. Start doing them this time and see the difference.
- Use right word at right time:This is the secret to handle people around you. Some of us are so expert at this that they manage everything else with the help of their communication skill. Some keep doing work hard on things but not able to show what they have done. You need to learn this. If you think you just need to take care of your work and other things are other’s problem then it is your biggest problem. I am not saying that you need to master dealing with people. But you have to learn at least to use right word at right time with right people. Ask whenever something not clear. Some of the tasks do not require any work but only require mutual understanding with people if you can make them understand.
- Think like a Boss:When you are going to your boss to show them what you have done, first get into their shoes. Think how you will validate the tasks if you were at their position. Think what he can ask and how you can justify that. If you will prepare these things in advance, you will feel more confident and will be more effective.
- Never go to your Boss without solution:No one of us is so perfect that he knows everything. We all need help from our bosses. But most of us complain that nobody listens to them and they get no help from people around them. Remember; never bring your problem to your boss without solution. First think about the problem with different angles. Think about different approaches and bring all available option with you. Mostly they only give you suggestion not solution. So ask for advice not for solution. And the good thing is that you can convert suggestion into solution. Believe me.
- Be a Good Listener:Being a good listener solves most of the problems. I have noticed some people never ready to hear something against their work. When you take your solution to your boss, there are chances that it will be rejected. You boss want it in some other way. Do not always keep shouting well about your solution. There is always more than one solution to a problem. Listen to him carefully. It could be your best time to learn another approach. He has more experience and in the long run his solutions can turns out to be best.Stephen R Covey said it right “Seek first to understand, then to be understood.”
- Keep Learning from others:Nobody is good at everything but everyone is good at something. Keep learning from everyone around you especially from your colleagues. Read some good books from the masters and listen their podcasts. It was nice saying from “Chili Davis” that “Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up Is Optional”. Kerowing.
Good habits take time to form but they serve us life time. Make these tips a part of your life. It is always good to create a better self. You will be proud of yourself.
Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things.Peter Drucker
I know you also have some tips that you use in your daily work to be more effective. We will appreciate if you want to share them in comments. Enjoy.